Local Support Groups
- Pacific Center – Mental Health and Support Services for LGBTQ community. In particular, youth services at the Pacific Center focus on the empowerment, mental health and safety of LGBTQ youth (ages 12-17) . The LOUD After-school Youth Program: LOUD stands for Loving Ourselves and Uniting Diversity and is an after-school program that meets weekly from 4pm-6pm on Tuesday and Friday. LOUD provides a safe space and peer support for LGBTQ youth and their allies. Each week 5-20 youth gather, share stories, meet new friends, support each other, laugh, eat, play games, or embark on field trips. Mental health therapists lead the group and are available for one-on-one counseling for any youth and/or members of their families. http://pacificcenter.org/
- Rainbow Families – Rainbow Families is a parent-run group, working to create a community to support our transgender and gender diverse kids. We help families connect with one another to support each other and give kids a place to be themselves. https://rainbowfamiliesbayarea.org
- PFLAG: The nation’s largest organization for parents, families, friends, and allies united with LGBTQ people to move forward through support, education, and advocacy.
- Dimensions Clinic is a welcoming, safe and open space for queer and trans youth to get comprehensive medical and mental health services.We offer free or low-cost healthcare for youth, ages 12 to 25, with services tailored specifically to serve transgender and gender non-binary young people. http://www.dimensionsclinic.org/
- Gender Spectrum is a National organization based in the Bay Area. Gender Spectrum helps to create gender sensitive and inclusive environments for all children and teens.
- inMind is a collaborative practice with gender specialists.Therapy http://www.youareinmind.com/
Hotlines, Support & Acceptance
- Trevor Project http://www.thetrevorproject.org/pages/get-help-now
A national 24-hour, toll free confidential suicide hotline for LGBTQ youth. Trevor Project’s Trevor Lifeline at 866-488-7386 (24 hours a day, seven days a week)
- LGBT National Youth Talkline – The LGBT National Youth Talkline provides telephone, online private one-to-one chat and email peer-support, as well as factual information and local resources for cities and towns across the United States. https://www.glbthotline.org/talkline.html
- TransLife Line – Trans Lifeline provides trans peer support for our community that’s been divested from police since day one. We’re run by and for trans people. http://www.translifeline.org/
Trans Lifeline at US: (877) 565-8860 or Canada: (877) 330-6366 or visit their website for more information
- Family Acceptance Project @ SFSU The Family Acceptance Project® is a research, intervention, education and policy initiative to prevent health and mental health risks for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer-identified (LGBTQ) children and youth, including suicide, homelessness, drug use and HIV — in the context of their families, cultures and faith communities. We use a research-based, culturally grounded approach to help ethnically, racially and religiously diverse families learn to support their LGBTQ children. https://familyproject.sfsu.edu/
- National Queer Asian Pacific Islander Alliance (NQAPIA) promotes acceptance of LGBT people, and our rights and dignity, amongst Asian Americans, South Asians, Southeast Asians, and Pacific Islanders (AAPI).
Other National Organizations
- GLAAD National organization that works on the representation of LGBTQ people in the media.https://www.glaad.org/reference/transgender
- Gender Odyssey Interested in the thoughtful exploration of gender and provides an environment where people of all genders can share their experiences and learn from the experiences of others. www.genderodyssey.org
- Children’s National Medical Center’s Gender and Sexuality Psychosocial Programs www.childrensnational.org/gendervarianceWashington D.C. based organizations that offers online parent guide, an outreach program, a local support group, a national Listserv, a summer camp and an outpatient clinical program.
- TransYouth Family Allies A national organization empowers children and families by partnering with educators, service providers and communities, to develop supportive environments in which gender may be expressed and respected. http://www.imatyfa.org/
Books / Curriculum
- Welcoming Schools National organization offers tools, lessons, and resources on embracing family diversity, avoiding gender stereotyping, and ending bullying and name-calling in elementary schools.
- lists of LGBTQIA+ inclusive children’s books for varying ages, books about LGBTQIA+ history for kids and books for teachers and parents supporting LGBTQI+ kids: https://www.welcomingschools.org/resources/books/lgbtq-inclusive-schools/
- curriculum on gender diversity & inclusion http://www.welcomingschools.org/resources/
- The Stonewall Book Awards honor LGBTQIA+ books and since 2010 they have had an annual award for children’s/young adult literature specifically (The Mike Morgan & Larry Romans Children’s & Young Adult Literature Award). Prior award winners are listed here: http://www.ala.org/rt/rrt/award/stonewall/honored
- Family Equality has a listing of LGBTQIA+ books for all ages, including a nice searchable book tool that can filter by age group and keyword! https://www.familyequality.org/family-support/lgbtq-books/
- Queerly Elementary Queerly Elementary provides services and resources to help school communities embrace lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer diversity. https://queerlyelementary.com/
- Rethinking Schools Teaching about gender diversity and inclusion http://www.rethinkingschools.org/archive/26_01/26_01_tempel.shtml
- TSER (Trans Student Educational Resources) www.transtudent.org A youth based organization which seeks to educate about gender diversity and inclusion and transform educational settings for gender diverse youth. Great infographics.
- “Who Are You” – book on gender diversity for children and resources on creating gender inclusive schools and cultures https://kidsguidetogender.com
- GLSEN Leading national education organization focused on ensuring safe schools for all students. Safe schools http://www.glsen.org/policy/federal/national-safe-schools-partnership
- Gender Spectrum https://www.genderspectrum.org/explore-topics/education/#more-239
Parenting Stories and Blogs
- How To Be A Girl Podcast: “an audio podcast I produce about life with my six-year-old transgender daughter. It stars the two of us — a single mom and a six-year-old girl” www.howtobeagirlpodcast.com/
- Raising my Rainbow https://raisingmyrainbow.com/ Mother’s blog on raising a gender creative child in Southern California.
- The Maven of Mayhem http://www.themavenofmayhem.com/Canadian mom who helped with Canadian legislation to recognize gender diverse youth.
- Raising Ryland http://www.raisingryland.com/
- NQAPIA campaign about Asian parents who love their LGBT kids. http://www.nqapia.org/wpp/programs-campaigns/aapi-parents-who-love-their-lgbt-kids/
- Colage, COLAGE programs are designed to build connections between youth & young adults with shared experiences. We have our own unique stories, but together our shared values for social justice and our deep connections make it possible for youth to be changemakers! https://www.colage.org/programs
Education Legal and Policy
- Office of Civil Rights / Department of Education
- Joint Policy Statement on AB1266 School Success and Opportunity Act
- California Department of Education AB 1266
- Bathroom Issues Gender Spectrum https://www.genderspectrum.org/bathroomfaq/?utm_source=Back+to+School&utm_campaign=bts818&utm_medium=email
- Human Rights Watch Bathroom Report and Articles
National organization working for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender equal rights.
Article on Bathrooms
- Transgender Law Center http://transgenderlawcenter.org/
ID Please: Legal Name and Gender Changes – Guidebook http://transgenderlawcenter.org/resources/id/id-pleaseMedia Toolkit http://transgenderlawcenter.org/programs/truth/truth-share-your-story
- National Center for Transgender Equality: one-stop hub for name and gender change information.
- UCSF Benioff Oakland Children’s Hospital Child and Adolescent Gender Clinic
Comprehensive Interdisciplinary Medical Services for Transgender, Non-Binary, and Gender-Expansive Transgender Children and Adolescents
- University of California San Francisco Child and Adolescent Gender Clinic
Comprehensive medical and psychological care for gender diverse youth.
- WPATH www.wpath.org World Professional Association for Transgender Health International organization focuses on the understanding and treatment of gender identity disorders.